Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: On The Nature Of Headgear
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:34 pm 
Mortal

Hi.

According to the Pythagorean theorum, the geometrical definition of a matrix, and the fact that SK movement is -on- a matrix, moving northeast, southeast, northwest or southwest should cost 1.414213562 times more PE than moving east, south, west, or north. To balance this out, the general cost of any movement should be reduced .2071067812 times. If you doubt me, google. Otherwise, someone with the patience to google or innate mathematical knowledge, please post about why I am right.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:44 pm 
Mortal

I don't believe that you can assume that sk uses matrix movement. I would like to see a proof of this.

Potential argument for the other side: rooms are not all the same size, the surface of the planes are curved. Since it does not take extra pe to move diagonally, I would assume that the distance between them is equal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:49 pm 
It's a magical world... :roll:

Why do people want to sound smart by whipping out a fictional math problem on an imagined world?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:52 pm 
Mortal

theDrifter wrote:
I don't believe that you can assume that sk uses matrix movement. I would like to see a proof of this.

Try going onto the wilderness map.

As for room size.. That's the imm's fault. They could try putting in more rooms to move diagonally, but they really haven't, and that still doesn't fix wilderness map.

Indoor curvature is insignificant, outdoor curvature is already covered by the 'hill', 'mountain' and 'valley' scripts.

[Edit]: Oh. And as for the assumption that, as diagonal movement is equal in expendature, the surface is curved..

I'm not even going to calculate how many times that assumes the world of Pyrathia bends unto, through, and around itself. Maybe the guys who coded DEKU just never thought of this.

Last edited by OoMpAlOoMpA on Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:55 pm 
Mortal

Yana wrote:
Why do people want to sound smart by whipping out a fictional math problem on an imagined world?

Not going to flame you.. not going to flame you.. :evil:

A .414213562% inconsistancy in PE expendature for movement is -not- a fictional problem.

Last edited by OoMpAlOoMpA on Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:01 pm 
Mortal

What if the shape of rooms is actually octagonal but the world curves enough that it all fits nicely?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:05 pm 
Mortal

theDrifter wrote:
What if the shape of rooms is actually octagonal but the world curves enough that it all fits nicely?

Octagons can't tesselate. That said, I have already stated that that would require Pyrathia bend unto, through, and around itself at least a dozen times for that to work, which would violate physics in an altogether more hideous way.

Last edited by OoMpAlOoMpA on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:06 pm 
You are attemting to apply math to a world that is based mainly upon a magical plane.

Magic and science don't mix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:09 pm 
Mortal

No matter how hard you try, I'm -not- going to flame you.

Though, granted, you did just inadvertantly support my argument. Pyrathia is a plane, instead of a sphere. There cannot be curvature of enough significance to warrant an octagonal design along with that fact, even though there isn't enough to begin with.

And I have nothing against magic. However, every manner in which SK acts is warranted by either magic, or the science of the real world. The void I am describing is explained by neither.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:13 pm 
Mortal

What if it is a plane made of circles and the empty space in between them is not noticeable because whenever you step onto it you are magically transported across instantly?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next