Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Code Update 07/06/2013 Q&A
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:43 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Caric
Imperialistic_Babble wrote:
I'm really not sure how you can come to the conclusion that these changes actually limit you in any way when I can think of a million different possibilities for new plot lines. Like Justin said, you should give it some time to mull over before jumping to conclusions. This is probably the first change in years that i've legitimately been super excited about.

The actual code is not a bad thing, what I am seeing is what players will do with the code. Im not even talking about multiplayer etc, Im talking about the fact when you join a tribunal you publicly announce your a PK target. Which will mean people will not join a Tribunal until they feel they are ready to PK. Which leads me to my next conclusion.
People will not join tribunal until they are max level. Reasons being Tribunal offers you nothing to help you level yet announces you are a PK target. Cabals offer bonuses you can use to level and do not instantly make you a PK target. Which brings me to my third conclusion.
Tribunals and Cabal factions will again become one thing. If you want cabal powers to be an effective member of a tribunal, then the majority of people will have a char that gets them.

Now these things lead to a lot of options ... Just really old options we had before. Join a cabal get law immunity.

Perhaps I am wrong perhaps I dont know SK players as well as I think I do.

Oh also perceive imbalance is a lot better than actually imbalance now you can see the who list you can know the numbers of the tribunals you are at war with, before you could always make a reasonable guess but there was no telling if their was someone who wasnt announcing it. Right now there is one tribunal with more members than every other tribunal put together. I expect this will change in the coming weeks of cabal tribunal membership. What I also expect to see is a lot of people check the who list before they decide if they are going to log on to a faction character.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:17 pm 
Mortal

^^This.

It is speculation at this point, but the reasoning seems solid to me. And while I understand that there are rules in place against sharing information between characters, still not a fan of one player having a character in Hammer/Peacekeepers and an alt character in Legion or a character in Crucible/Legion with an alt character in Peacekeepers.

Even if there is no information crossover, it still puts the player in a very odd dilemma when the faction/tribunal of his primary character is at at war with the tribunal of his alternate character(s). Don't like it one bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:22 pm 
Mortal

While I agree that I don't necessarily think it's a good practice to let people have people in any amount of tribunals over any amount of characters they want to play, I do think it's good that D is trusting the playerbase to do the right thing here rather than flailing wildly with the ban-hammer right from jump street.

As a side note, though, I already personally dislike some of the political combinations I have seen and I do hope that the staff sets some solid ground rules before things do get out of hand.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:41 pm 
Mortal

In a way, this is a boon to the harlequins, because it allows to do some more political shenanigans.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:42 pm 
Mortal

Showing tribunal flags on the who list will likely have the exact chilling effect that Cordance predicted, in my opinion.

Not a fan of this particular change either. It is going to promote the Flavor-of-the-Month bandwagon effect - this already happens, but it will be more pronounced now. I know that a player having multiple characters in a tribunal is unlikely to change, but the who list showing tribunal membership should be re-evaluated.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:48 pm 
Implementor

Cordance wrote:
Unless there is some kind of rule about not being able to lead both factions.

Only one faction leadership position is allowed per player. This was mentioned several times during the RP today, but apparently I neglected to put it into the announcement. I have now updated the text to make it clear.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:13 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Adalwulf, Whinston, Eberhardt
- Leadership: Guards will no longer obey orders to cast spells

:(

Don

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:05 pm 
Implementor

By the way, just in case you were wondering, bringing you dual-factions ability was not an easy feat. The game was not previously structured in such a way as to make it even a remote possibility. Pretty much every line of code ever written involving cabals and tribunals had to be touched or rewritten. I've been working on making this a reality for about a year. There was an update last fall which got things half-way refactored without breaking anything (with the exception of bringing guards to the Empire). Then there was another big push this spring that culminated in today's announcement. Thanks to all the admins that helped test at various stages!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:31 pm 
Mortal

Thanks for the update Dulrik!!!!!! <3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:00 pm 
Mortal

Definitely happy the game is evolving. Well done all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next