Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: idea from rp announcement.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:25 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
FinneyOwnzU wrote:
Staff members are guilty of this, too. I remember a particular GRP that should have concluded in an abrupt manner due to the actions of a character involved, but the staff member running the show decided to smite him instead and continue on with the "script" as if nothing happened.

Yes. Staffers have been guilty of this, as well. It's very difficult (especially for new imms) to foresee every possible angle and outcome and either pre-plan for them or adjust an ongoing event on the spot. Ideally, that would happen every time. We do try to allow the players to be ultimately responsible for the outcomes of GRPs, and with every event he or she runs, an individual staffer gets more adept at doing just that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:26 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Xasuki
patrisaurus wrote:
Arelgama wrote:
There is no way I would fill out the journal. I play this game for a break from work and would not play it anymore if this was implemented and required. Although I'm sure I will just get told to go play another game.

This seems more like a personal problem - you shouldn't make random comments into referendums against yourself. Most folks like playing with you and nobody was suggesting that you're the type of problem player who should find a new home. While it's often hard not to process things in a way that puts us at the center of the action, I think you're getting overwrought about something that clearly wasn't related to you. As to the journal itself, Dulrik's clearly stated multiple times that, if implemented, something like this would be purely voluntary.

I think it'd be a cool add.

I know exactly who it was in reference to, I just don't like that it was said. I may have been taking it too far by my last comment, but I stand by the spirit of the comment. No staff member, Big D or not, should say that to a player. Especially one who has been playing the game a long time and DOES contribute to the game IC. So shame on any staff who feels that way and expresses it in a public manner.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:32 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
Are you and everyone else talking about the same OA? Just wondering. I mean, I think that the staff should seek to please players as best as possible and not drive them away, but OA is probably one of the most obstinate and frustrating players sometimes. I, for one, am infinitely impressed that Dulrik hasn't cracked and murdered the guy yet for some of the stuff he says.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:45 am 
Mortal

We derail this anymore and D's gonna lock the thread I fear.
Arelgama, nobody here thinks that an imm should have a negative attitude toward the pbase, and it is not the case here. But surely you've heard the axiom about bad apples. There are some you just can't do anything with except make applesauce.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:45 am 
Mortal

Arelgama wrote:
With how slim our player base is I am truly disheartened and disappointed in the response "go play another game". I have/will always do my best to encourage new players to come and stay in the game, whether it be by voting or through mentoring both in and after the academy's. The IMM staff IMO should never say go play another game just as a business should never tell someone to go try their competitor. This truly frustrates me....

This is a common misconception that stems from a misunderstanding of resource and time management. If you are in sales, for instance, and you have a small subset of your customers that takes up an inordinate amount of your time, but the rest of your customers are easier to deal with and take virtually none of your time to maintain, you are better off discarding the time-intensive customers and spending the time you have freed up on finding a new crop of more easygoing customers or giving your other customers better service. If they migrate to your competitor, now your competitor gets to deal with a new headache and it's really not your problem anymore. The same principle applies to SK. If there is a player who is a massive nuisance or constant rule-breaker, you are better off just getting rid of him than you are trying to please him. I am not saying OA is such a player - I have no idea either way - I am just pointing out this clichéd notion that you should bend over backwards to please difficult people is inaccurate.

No one at SK is entitled to anything. If you play SK, you accept the that there are immortals who serve as game masters. If you don't like them or their judgment, too bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:00 am 
Mortal

I recognize that OA has problems communicating with the staff and all that, but OA is a HUGE help for me and others IC and has a lot to contribute to the game. That aside, I am not upset with the animosity they share, I am upset that an IMM would say that on the open forums. To me, it gives an air of its my way or the high way and you can get on or off the train for all I care. Just my two cents.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:52 am 
TMS Cheerleader

SK Character: Addison
Arelgama wrote:
I recognize that OA has problems communicating with the staff and all that, but OA is a HUGE help for me and others IC and has a lot to contribute to the game. That aside, I am not upset with the animosity they share, I am upset that an IMM would say that on the open forums. To me, it gives an air of its my way or the high way and you can get on or off the train for all I care. Just my two cents.

Chris

Well. The imms are trying to run the game the way dulrik wants it ran. In essence they are an extension of dulrik. So if he has a problem with the rules time and time again. The yes he should find a mud that meets his demanding requirements. No imm should be hassled for anything they do under fair judgement.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:07 pm 
Mortal

Wow! Not sure what part of, this isn't about OA, everyone isn't understanding. This, for me, was about the comment in general, not who it was or wasn't directed at...

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:11 pm 
Mortal

Deathadder wrote:
No imm should be hassled for anything they do under fair judgement.

I have no idea what this means. This is almost an Orome-ism.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:11 pm 
Mortal

This thread makes me lol. I could only think of this in response to the immspiracy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next