Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:19 am 
Mortal

Quote:
Anything that gives possibility to game positions being limited to even fewer players is bad

Well, the possibility of being able to hold leadership of both a cabal and tribunal means that it is possible that fewer players might be necessary to fully populate all the "game positions" required, but it doesn't limit the number of positions available in any way, so we're in the clear on that point.

That said, I don't necessarily agree with your premise. It suggests that positions of responsibility are like the right to free sweets(*), that ideally everybody should be equally entitled to one if they want to have a go. Whereas I hold that they should only be available on merit, to those that work to deserve them and have suggested themselves capable of upholding the responsibilities that come with the position.

In my view, there's nothing wrong with a bit of elitism, as long as everybody has an equal shot at excelling :wink:

Jardek wrote:
You complement me. LK compliments me. You wacky English, you'd think that you'd be able to master your own language!

Amazing, I never knew that! Still, that's one of the things I love about my language; always little surprises waiting in little corners to take you unawares and teach you something new :D

That said, my spelling has always been atrocious, so I generally just follow my Dad's old rule of "if in doubt, dubble up!" and otherwise just trust to luck and hope for the best.

(*) Note, I'm not actually aware of anybody that has the right to free sweets(**), but couldn't think of any other single comodity off hand that we each necessesarily had a basic, funamentally equal right to that would properly illustrate my point, so made something up.

(**)Actually, my kids think that everybody should have the rights to free sweets(***) but simply put, they are wrong.

(***)My boys at least. Who knows what my daughter thinks? She's a girl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:39 am 
Mortal

It will make citizenship mean a lot more when everyone will want to join a tribunal because even if you don't do anything with the NPCs, law immunity is nice and you don't have to give up anything.

With everyone wanting to join, tribunal leaders will have more power to select good members for their tribunal and it is more likely that characters with good leadership qualities will become leader of the tribunal rather than whoever is still active and didn't leave to join a cabal.

(that does mean that it is harder for mediocre characters/players to become leaders, but I think that's good)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:11 am 
Mortal

Forsooth wrote:
But then other thoughts began to occur to me. I know a major civil war was OOCly intended. It didn't come to pass because, IMO, the leaders weren't quite experienced enough in the OOC herding of plots. Could more experienced players have brought us even more excitement? And now we may be seeing the same leadership vacancy problem again - but this time, without nearly so much fun. Maybe tribunal roleplay really is suffering from underpopulation.

On a somewhat unrelated note: the civil war was going to happen until an IMM stopped it, in a move that made absolutely no IC sense. That should be crystal clear - the players involved all knew what was going on and had a cohesive plan. To say otherwise reflects a total lack of knowledge about what was going on.

Regardless, I'm quite certain that tribunals ARE suffering from a lack of players. I could be wrong, but it seems that all of the tribunals, (with the lone exception of perhaps the Guardians right now) don't have the optimum number of people for operation. Underpopulation is a big reason this discussion was ever started, and I don't think the problem's gotten any better with time. At this point, I honestly don't care about the intricacies of the system - dual leaders or no dual leaders, I think both are fine, but the bottom line is our factions need more, and this alleviates that problem. We don't REALLY know what's going to happen, until we try it. There IS such a thing as too much worrying about what might go wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:42 am 
Mortal

Quote:
In my view, there's nothing wrong with a bit of elitism, as long as everybody has an equal shot at excelling

Which there isn't because everyone is a free willed biased pig, myself included. If the mud needs populated, then you people need better people skills to get a population. Elitism will destroy this mud by bringing the who list down to the elite five, and a little bit of elitism will just hurt the mud a little bit.

If you guys really want more people, and if that is the whole underlying point of this thread, the whole populas of SKers, really needs to work on your people skills. It doesn't matter if you are the l337 spell4r with pwnage tactics and l337 rp. You guys run off more people than you keep with you're aggressive behavior and elitism, (of which there is alot, not a little). Check out some other forums for muds. Way more relaxed. Here, it's like you're all [REDACTED] ooted on sk. Detox mofo.

My point is, that I really would wish that things would get fixed throughout interaction and gameplay, rather than shooting the [REDACTED] over whatever tool used for communication or discussing the game or asking for new coding. From what I hear, it was way better back in the day without all this coding, and from what I've seen most of you agree. Play the game, spend more effort on that. So far all this stuff that goes on, most of it ooc, little of it ic, just makes me play less and less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:04 am 
Mortal

B00ts wrote:
Quote:
In my view, there's nothing wrong with a bit of elitism, as long as everybody has an equal shot at excelling

Which there isn't because everyone is a free willed biased pig, myself included. If the mud needs populated, then you people need better people skills to get a population. Elitism will destroy this mud by bringing the who list down to the elite five, and a little bit of elitism will just hurt the mud a little bit.

Sorry Boots. We could sidetrack off into a whole different argument on this point, included amongst which it seems would be our respective definitions of elitism. But we won't, because that isn't my purpose here.

Nor is the purpose of this thread to discuss how we can better populate the mud. The mud is populated. But far from being the "whole underlying point of this thread" that, again, is a totally different subject to the one currently at hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:25 am 
Tatali0n wrote:

Sorry Boots. We could sidetrack off into a whole different argument on this point, included amongst which it seems would be our respective definitions of elitism. But we won't, because that isn't my purpose here.

Nor is the purpose of this thread to discuss how we can better populate the mud. The mud is populated. But far from being the "whole underlying point of this thread" that, again, is a totally different subject to the one currently at hand.

Tat is correct. Keep the thread on topic folks, it's a long one, I know, but please let's try.

PS. That's the first post that Tat has made in a while without any spelling errors in it! Go him!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:39 am 
Mortal

Quote:
Underpopulation is a big reason this discussion was ever started

That was what I was reffering to with the elitism. I thought it was one of the bigger points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:27 am 
Mortal

One Valiant Truth wrote:
This thread is awesome long.

When we gona see it have an impact in game?

Haven't you noticed the extreme length of this thread already lagging out the game server?

Just joking :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:07 am 
Immortal

SK Character: Achernar
B00ts wrote:
Quote:
Underpopulation is a big reason this discussion was ever started

That was what I was reffering to with the elitism. I thought it was one of the bigger points.

To be specific, the thread was started with the topic of underpopulation in some groups. There is a solid playerbase on SK. It would be nice to see it get bigger, but the thread is not about growing SK's population. Its about making SK's population fit the existing groups more meaningfully.

A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:33 am 
Mortal

It just seems like dual-membership wouldn't be the answer with 50+ people on in the daytime. I guess I just don't like the idea for the reason I already said.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next