Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Paladins and Hellions.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:44 pm 
I was just comparing the skill sets and spell sets for both of these classes. Is it just me, or in a duel with a prepared paladin and a prepared hellion, the paladin will always win. If the paladin is prepared they'd have enough fort to negate the maledictions and some mp and maybe a bit of reflex to save against hellfire(not like it'd really matter) what is the hellion going to do if the maledictions don't work? Spam hellfire? The paladin can just sit and spam cure spells in between rounds till the hellion dies.

By the way, how do hellions not get holy word or SoF? Either let only priests have them or give them to hellions.
And hellions don't get disarm? What in the world?

Sanctuary>Intimidate 95% of the time, the only time I'd rather have intimidate is hq raiding, and it's not really needed if you have a decent group.

In a duel between hellion/paladin I would place hellfire above BoG since the paladin shouldn't even bother casting it, what's BoG going to do through greater mp, gm shield, and gm protection? But hellfire alone isn't going to win the fight, I think a hellion casting hellfire would run out of energy before a paladin casting cure spells.
Sure Cleave is nice, hellions learn three useless spells though, the cause spells, might be nice, but hellfire is negative energy too. Cause light in PK is worthless, Cure light in a duel is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more useful.
Not really anything to compare Rift or Call armor to.
In a duel between hellion/paladin armor>shield since the paladin probably won't bother casting BoG.
Domination? Seems like it's almost never used.
Oh, wow!!! Hellions get haggle! Yay!
Hide, sneak, and invis are nice.

Hellions versus most stuff but paladins=decent.
Hellions versus paladins=sucks.
Paladins versus pretty much everything=good class.
Someone that can bash would probably kill both these classes if they got to start the fight, every other class it'd probably be a good fight.

Not exactly -mortal enemies- when one is so much better than the other.

And this excludes elven paladins since hellfire and cold iron weapons will screw them.

Edit : If it's not an elf, what is cleave going to do through gm protection and sanctuary and great MP adamantite? Maybe 25ish%? That's not going to win you a fight, is it? Maybe add what, like 10% if it's a half-elf?

Edit2 : Silly me, I forgot paladins get locate object too, that is an awesome spell, someone tell me why paladins get it and hellions don't? And didn't feel like checking the skill list again, but I'm pretty sure hellions only get endurance and fast healing, paladins get both of those and meditation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:17 pm 
Mortal

Hellions got parry. They are pretty ok now. After all, hellions get deafness. This is the true duel winning spell vs paladins. With some luck, no matter how much fort the paladin has, one might land. Also, hellions get axes, a pretty good advantage in duels vs paladins.

As for hellions never using dominate now, it's their fault. If they can't bother with a spell and the preparation that can get them a free tank and a better damage dealer, it's their fault when they die.

As for cleave and HW...
Code:
Ianous yells 'Aresius! I, Ianous, challenge you to a duel to the death!'
Ianous challenges you to a duel.

[HP:100%] [ME: 60%] [PE:100%]
>
You yell 'I, Aresius, accept your duel to the death, Ianous!'
You will fight to kill.
Wimpy set to 0.

>
Ianous starts to concentrate.

>
Ianous utters the words, 'parl xafe'.

>
You yell 'Ianous, let the duel begin. Enguarde!'
You cleave through Ianous's chest!
A polished suit of gothic field plate falls off from Ianous.
Your cleave does UNSPEAKABLE THINGS to Ianous!
Ianous is DEAD!!
You hear Ianous's death cry.
A black horse slowly fades away.
The duelist's guild proclaims you the winner. Victory is yours!
Someone looks very uncomfortable.
Someone screams in agony as plague sores erupt from his skin.
Someone looks very ill.
Someone looks tired and weak.

:lol:

Cleave >>> HW

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:18 pm 
Mortal Contributor

Hellions don't get spear of faith or holy word because Dulrik doesn't want them to be mirrors of each other, with the only differences being one is good and one is evil. There is alot of differences between paladins and hellions, that's what Dulrik wanted and that's what he got.

Don't flame me or tell me that's stupid, I had nothing to with it. That's how it is. The mirrors of one anther phrase was chosen by me to describe the situation because I believe those are the exact words Dulrik has used in the past when describing why paladins had parry and hellions didn't or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:25 pm 
Mortal

Hellion's power is in quick and massive damage dealing. A well prepared hellion should know how to achieve this, so the paladin will not have the TIME to heal affectively. You'd better focus on this scheme instead of trying to compare them with paladins as identical machines. I never lost a single duel to any paladin with Rayvorath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:18 am 
Mortal

Hellions should get locate object too. Paladins get it from the "priest" side of spells, hellions can get it from the "necro" part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:11 am 
Okay, I can understand not wanting them to be mirrors, they'd probably be less fun that way, it just seems like, from looking at the sets of stuff they both get that paladins are way better off. Not really put this to a test.
So it could be very likely that I'm wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:21 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Galstan/Cyril/Ulrich/Elar
I think you're forgetting cleave and the fact you can preload your weapon with maledictions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:43 am 
That is one of my points. Hellions get 1 or 2 great things, it seems like paladins get lots of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:41 am 
Mortal

Cause critical Syndal. If hellfire fails, Cause critical is still viable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:46 am 
If the paladin has enough mp so that hellfire isn't doing much what is cause critical going to do?