Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: IDEA: Junking and Lag
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:28 am 
Mortal Contributor

SK Character: That'd be telling
I have been reading logs after logs of people fighting and grow tired of the ending that seems to be mandatory these days.... 'junk all'

Full looting is a royal pain in the [REDACTED], but destroying the corpse and then destroying ALL the contents is just plain vicious (whatever the IC reason). Worse still, is when it occurs in combat - two logs spring to mind.

Log one: The person is running away from combat and on his way out sees a corpse of the enemy and junks everything in the room. Then makes good his escape (before the person chasing him can attack)

Log Two: in the midst of combat, just before the final blow is struck, the character butchers and junks everything from one of the fallen enemies

... and it came to me. Could there not be a lag associated with certain actions (or plain impossible while in combat)?

It is ridiculous to think that while trying to defend myself from certain death I take the time out to butcher a corpse... furthermore, I then decide to start destroying each piece of equipment.

I dont think commands like butcher should work in combat and perhaps a small amount of lag could be associated with junking (excpet for NPC bodies/body parts and steaks 'n' such.

this would certainly help with the malicious/spiteful actions of some and make in game sense. If they wanted to full loot a corpse on the way to 'freedom' then the person might think twice if a few seconds of lag would be incurred.

thoughts please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:30 am 
Mortal

I think it's a brilliant idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:38 am 
Mortal

This has been spoken of before, how one can destroy so many items so quickly is beyond me. Should be a pretty decent lag time when one junks things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:08 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Delear - Maridosen
The 'junk' command has many more uses than actually hurt people, so I would plainly say:

NO, once again.-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:15 am 
Mortal

If you're going to do this, then it should work both ways. "Get all corpse" shouldn't be a free action either.

Given that restriction, I agree it'd add more tactics to combat, as well as supply more reward for the battleground's victor over the vanquished. Sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:15 am 
Mortal

It could at least be impossible to junk during combat. I am admittedly a noob to the game, but I can't really think of any reasons you would junk something in combat other than another player's equipment. It's one thing to destroy the equipment of someone who you've just killed once it's safe to do so, but from an IC point of view, it makes NO sense to stop fighting someone who you know is going to kill you just to junk loot someone else who you've just killed. Especially for a griffon. Besides, the lag wouldn't have to be major. Just enough to discourage players from using it spitefully in dangerous situations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:19 am 
Mortal

I generally do not experience lag in real life when throwing things into the garbage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:30 am 
Mortal

And you normally take the garbage out in the middele of a swordfight Cyra?

Junk all as a noncombat command, I'm with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:45 am 
Mortal

kirina wrote:
And you normally take the garbage out in the middele of a swordfight Cyra?

Junk all as a noncombat command, I'm with that.

Swordfights are sort of archaic in this day and age.

It's in this case that we need to revert to the age old propaganda of Shattered Kingdoms of not seeing anything that says "You can't do that." around here.

Why does the junk command really need disabled during combat? Are you too concerned about your precious equipment that we need a code change to cater to this line of thinking?

This is exactly the same reason you get to laugh at an otaku freak in real life that gets his house struck by a flood, or tornado or volcano. Whatever.

Is there any reason that the junk command needs to be removed other than the fact that it hurts your feelings when you get your equipment junked?

Chances are if they junk you during combat, they'll still junk you outside of combat. This doesn't solve anything for your QQing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:22 am 
Mortal

Junk doesn't need restrictions or lag.

People just need to stop being jack asses.

QED