Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Acid VS Magma
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:13 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Walthur
I am slightly confused, acid is an apprentice level spell that at GM does amazing damage AND destroys items. Magma which is a master level spell does little more in terms of damage if not equal and sticks instead of destroying items. What is the huge gap in training level and why do they do relatively equal damage? I think, unless someone can enlighten me on this point that a change may need to me made.
*If no one can bring up significant point I at least think acid needs to be learned at mentor or so ... or make it do less damage. Or make magma learned earlier or something,

Please give me a your thoughts.

Post subject: Acid VS Magma
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:15 am 
Mortal

Acid also has a very fast casting time and I have always found it overpowered with my aggressive casters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:32 am 
Mortal

Magma's casting time is pretty quick, too, and it does much more damage than acid. It takes a few magmas to wipe out the average PC; it takes quite a few acids, conversly. The effectiveness of Acid might be related to the fact that, since learned at a lower level, it is given oppurtunity to grow with the PC's level, especially since sorcerors have limited damage spells.

Post subject: True
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:34 am 
Mortal

Thats true, I may be completely wrong, I just wanted to hear some discussion on it and thank you for replying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:43 am 
Mortal

Magma spray does much more damage than acid blast, not even counting the continuing damage. Unless acid blast has gotten a huge upgrade since I played a sorc, it hardly compares. Sure, it's nasty because it can damage items. But haven't you noticed that levelling sorcs spam magic missile instead? Not much of an endorsement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:24 am 
Mortal

Magma spray is a single target spell. A warlock's specialty is groups, however. They have quite a few multi target spells that are able to be cast at a range. And those are the best spells in a warlock's arsenal.

I don't see why you're comparing acid blast and magma spray, however. Rather, I don't understand what you're getting at.

I would like to point and laugh at Forsooth though for his lack of knowledge of the comparison in damage that the two spells do.

My viewpoint and advice: 95% of the people that play the game do not stack saving throws, so either of these spells are going to completely ruin the game of 95% of the playerbase. Either way, a sorcerer or warlock is generally awarded a kill by using these spells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:47 pm 
Mortal

Forsooth wrote:
But haven't you noticed that levelling sorcs spam magic missile instead? Not much of an endorsement.

They way my sorc looked at things was - If you want to end the fight quickly use acid, if you want to end the fight with more mana left use magic missile - thus magic missile is best for experience, acid for damage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:33 pm 
Mortal

Key little thing about magma...It has no save whatsoever. It can do either full damage...or double damage once per fight. You can't take half no matter how much ref/fort/will you have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:20 pm 
Yes, you can.

Its the 'You dodge aside as X's magma washes over you' message.

You were thinking of harm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:40 pm 
Mortal

Magma nor acid blast hurt me:(