Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:13 pm 
Mortal

I've occasionally wondered about having diagonal movements cost sqrt(2) pe instead of 1 pe. There is a theoretical problem, however, in that the cardinal directions are no more more fundamental than the diagonal directions*; therefore they should have the same costs.

* Nothing breaks the symmetry except the nomenclature. You may take nw to mean one step north and one step west. However, I could equally well define north to be one step nw and one step ne. They can't both be longer than each other, and so the incongruity is in the octogonal grid construction. Hexagonal grids would avoid this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:17 pm 
It's still science versus magic.

Pytheria exsists amoungst several plane which are interconected at cerain points.

The planes each exvcert their influence in a given matter. The gravitaional impact upon a flat plane by a high gravity well will cause the plane to stretch and distort around the gravity well. Depending upon the distortion the area affected, although percieved as the same distance can be altered greatly when a body tries to move through the gravity well, time is slowed in such points. Time dialation as it is can attest to the percived loss or gain of momentum.

Then there comes into factor gates, which are in all essence wormholes. Explain the energy output needed versus my 15% mana cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:17 pm 
Mortal

theDrifter wrote:
What if it is a plane made of circles and the empty space in between them is not noticeable because whenever you step onto it you are magically transported across instantly?

:D *laugh*

I do not believe that is the stated position of our administrative programmers, though, in considering my last statement, I will fully leave it to their discretion to wiggle out of more programming by playing that card... Though I can't say I'm happy you offered it to them. However, I don't think it would be that hard to program in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:24 pm 
Mortal

Benzo Balrog wrote:

* Nothing breaks the symmetry except the nomenclature. You may take nw to mean one step north and one step west. However, I could equally well define north to be one step nw and one step ne. They can't both be longer than each other, and so the incongruity is in the octogonal grid construction. Hexagonal grids would avoid this problem.

To all but the last sentance- I consider nw to mean however many steps in the direction that forms a 45 degree angle with n and w. Refer to the things I asked you to google.

To the last sentance- I considered that, but changing the code in such a drastic way would be a mindboggling programming maneuver, not to mention drive everyone nuts in figuring out the new paths to old places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:30 pm 
Mortal

Yana- Gravity is not applied at the center, or core of Pyrathia, but rather there is a plane that is below Pyrathia, in which each point has an equal gravitational force, and that plane extends infinately beyond the reaches of Pyrathia. That presumption aside..

I take absolutely no pleasure in, proverbally, gutting you with your own sword. You're overanalyzing- shhh. I'm talking about a serious, if overlooked problem. Gates, teleport, recall, rifts, are all explained by magic.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:34 pm 
Mortal

Whisky Tango in the blue Foxtrot...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:35 pm 
No!

You either explain the entire plane and the interation of forces amoungst all bodies, or you don't.

You define a flat plane by three points. this plane is not flat, nor is it immune to the other forces that are excerted on it. Either take them into account as to the pe expenditure or be quiet.

A plane 2"x2" will be a total of 4insq idealy, place the same exact plane in a dimention of other forces and it's true surface can then vary.

Again, explain all forces upon the plane or be quiet about the plane. You cannot pick and chose what will answer your problem idealy.

PS
I never said that gravity was appied at the center, otherwise there would be a tilt toward the center of the plane. I said the different planes excerted different forces over each other in different ways. In the end all forces will balance out to give a perception of a flat plane, gravity well can go unnoticed because a body moving through the space if forced to warp with the well, though again time slows so that the traveler takes longer time than someone who is flying and further outside the center of the well. Therefore distance and time to travel through the same area can differ.

PSS

It's magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:52 pm 
Mortal

... Right. My conclusion fixes a problem, yours.. defines The Nature Of Headgear. You can be quiet, now.

PSS

No, it really isn't.

PSSS

I hate you.

Last edited by OoMpAlOoMpA on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:54 pm 
You created an imaginary problem for an imaginary world based in text with no real physichal features to describe by math.

You need the helmet.

PS.
If this were a game like Halo, more power to you.

As it is, it's magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:58 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
I have nothing to contribute to this discussion aside from this:

PS>PPS>PPPS not PS>PSS>PSSS.

That is all.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next