Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: More options for tailoring/smithing skins
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:45 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Airkli
The only game you should be concerned about is this one. A fictional creature has a mithril hide, a fictional class can skin the mithril hide from that fictional creature, fictional character takes that fictional hide to a fictional blacksmith and makes a fictional sword.

Last edited by archaicsmurf on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:49 am 
Mortal

Certain skin types require a blacksmith. Melt and smith. Nothing magical about it. Fur cane would be nice though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:01 pm 
Mortal

I have always viewed skins of metal to be the equivalent strength, not that the creature is made of that metal. The boa has a hard skin. A tailor can't pierce it with a needle, nor be able to have thread with the tensile strength to keep it bound together. A smith can hammer and shape the skin into functioning armour, forging ringlets to bind the seams together. A weapon doesn't make any sense to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:23 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Airkli
Or smelt the mithril/bronze/copper into a molten liquid and cast into a mold. Where it is then forged.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:29 pm 
Mortal

archaicsmurf wrote:
The only game you should be concerned about is this one. A fictional creature has a mithril hide, a fictional class can skin the mithril hide from that fictional creature, fictional character takes that fictional hide to a fictional blacksmith and makes a fictional sword.

So that's a no on any other game that turns skins into weapons. Gotcha.

Sorry still a terrible idea, don't like the idea of one class the sole provider of all viable materials to fashion weapons/armor. Rather see a trade skill system in place.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:36 pm 
Implementor

Me too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:11 am 
Mortal

Chem wrote:
archaicsmurf wrote:

So that's a no on any other game that turns skins into weapons. Gotcha.

Sorry still a terrible idea, don't like the idea of one class the sole provider of all viable materials to fashion weapons/armor. Rather see a trade skill system in place.

We already have one class capable of manufacturing ranged weapon ammo, and procuring skins for armor...(by the way, why can't barbarians skin? Afterall, stereotypical barbarians run around in skins of animals they've butchered...)...
And sorcs can write scrolls. A few different classes can maunfacture potions...

So... what about giving weapons-heavy classes (mercs, barbarians, swashbucklers) the ability to forge weapons? For instance, it can only be done in existing forges (where we already go to resize, repair, tailor metal stuff) and require the procurement of different ores (like mithril ore in the Verlain mine)... different classes are capable of forging different weapon types... perhaps for mercs, only the overall type of the subtypes they are specialized in; for swashies, only finesse types (and only certain ones, and not exotics); for barbarians, sword, mace, spear, and polearm types, as long as they are 2-handed subtypes.
Perhaps a "forging" skill then, which gets better as the character levels and masters it. By level, the list gets longer of specific subtypes they can forge, as does the materials they are able to forge (i.e., copper at low level, mithril at high level). By mastery, the chance of random results (i.e., "forge copper rapier" results in a copper throwing knife), or all-out fails ("The weapon you were forging shatters into a million pieces!" or "The ore you used is rendered unusable.") decreases.

Food for thought?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:53 am 
Mortal

Yuarheer wrote:
Blah Blah Blah

To farther empathize my last point,

TRADE SKILL SYSTEM

That is all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:26 am 
Mortal

Chem wrote:
Yuarheer wrote:
Blah Blah Blah

To farther empathize my last point,

TRADE SKILL SYSTEM

That is all.

Wow. I guess I'll stfu then.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:42 am 
Mortal

I wasn't proposing an entire system being implemented. That would probably require a lot of work and time. I was asking for a tweak to an existing skill. The material peaks at what is probably considered standard. Perfect for casual alts since there is no hourly requirement.