Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Problems with the law code
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:42 pm 
Mortal

I'm continually dumbfounded that otherwise rational people can make that argument. It was a more obnoxious argument to make when Hammer could not be Peacekeeper, but it's still irrational.

If you want to defend any kingdom, defend it. The people and guards should thank you and call you hero, not throw you in jail.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:00 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Vigilantism is typically illegal: consider the Peacekeepers Harvey Dent. You can play the Batman all night long, Bruce, but the justice system is still going to come after you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:57 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Rolf
So, jihadists attack my local city and start shooting everyone. I bust out my own pistol (cause I live in Kansas and we open carry here like crazy people) and start shooting back. The police then arrive at the scene. Do the police invite me into their group? Nope. They tell me to stand down and maybe even arrest me (except probably not cause I'm white). The point is, if I'm not a police officer (tribunal member) they don't pardon me for anything.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:16 am 
Mortal

Lumiere wrote:
I'm continually dumbfounded that otherwise rational people can make that argument. It was a more obnoxious argument to make when Hammer could not be Peacekeeper, but it's still irrational.

If you want to defend any kingdom, defend it. The people and guards should thank you and call you hero, not throw you in jail.

Although I certainly agree with people putting on the batsuit if and when they feel it is appropriate, nothing gets a tribunal and its leader on an ignore list faster than when (s)he insists character(s) go try an impromptu defense against a group that's obviously pre-meditated and prepared for an attack based on some flimsy argument to alignment.

I'm sure the day the bad guys came to the village was the most important day of some guard's life, but for everyone else, it was Tuesday.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:17 pm 
Mortal

Opey wrote:
So, jihadists attack my local city and start shooting everyone. I bust out my own pistol (cause I live in Kansas and we open carry here like crazy people) and start shooting back. The police then arrive at the scene. Do the police invite me into their group? Nope. They tell me to stand down and maybe even arrest me (except probably not cause I'm white). The point is, if I'm not a police officer (tribunal member) they don't pardon me for anything.

Quote:
jihadists

This is what Fox News does to people.

-

The police would probably question you, but eventually determine that you had not committed a crime. There would be a hassle, but you would not spend the rest of your life in jail- especially because you're white aura.

Real life law does have pardons, which in the US are issued by state governors.

It also has basic legal concepts like the right to self-defense, the right to defend other people, and citizen's rights.

I think that your reference to Fox News culture is actually a great argument for this situation.

So, you open carry. If you were eating a hamburger in McDonalds in Kansas, and a dark aura thug came in and attacked the cashier with a knife to try to rob the cash register, and you shot and killed the dark aura thug, would the court system throw you in jail, after the police had gotten you to stand down and questioned you?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:20 pm 
Mortal

This is not real life people, this is a game. If you die while trying to protect your city in real life can you be returned to life? If you want law immunity join the damn tribunal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:30 pm 
Immortal

Lumiere wrote:
So, you open carry. If you were eating a hamburger in McDonalds in Kansas, and a dark aura thug came in and attacked the cashier with a knife to try to rob the cash register, and you shot and killed the dark aura thug, would the court system throw you in jail, after the police had gotten you to stand down and questioned you?

Self defense does not include shooting to protect someone behind a cash register. The penalty for armed robbery is not the death penalty. You'd probably go to jail.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:35 pm 
Mortal

Not if you live in Florida or Texas.

AWWW YEEEAAAH. :devil:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:52 pm 
Immortal

Lol, maybe not, but who's going to argue that Florida and Texas are beacons of the light?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:01 pm 
Mortal