Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Uses of Staff Weapon
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:23 am 
Mortal

Staff weapons(blade staff, cane, jo staff, bo staff, spiked staff, ajatang) see little to no use because of a few reasons. They are mostly two-handed weapons with no reach and have an average speed and damage.

What I am suggesting is dual wielded weapons. Basically, having two-handed weapons, such as staff, be used for both a main and off hand when wielded. One of the issues with this on the surface is that a staff is innately slow, so when a swashie were to wield them. It would have trouble reaching its full attack.

If introduced, the finesse list would need to include a couple for it to be useful.
With swahies being the most recent updated class. I don't expect this idea to be a priority.

Post subject: Re: New Uses of Staff Weapon
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:34 pm 
Mortal

Volgacks wrote:
Staff weapons(blade staff, cane, jo staff, bo staff, spiked staff, ajatang) see little to no use because of a few reasons. They are mostly two-handed weapons with no reach and have an average speed and damage.

What I am suggesting is dual wielded weapons. Basically, having two-handed weapons, such as staff, be used for both a main and off hand when wielded. One of the issues with this on the surface is that a staff is innately slow, so when a swashie were to wield them. It would have trouble reaching its full attack.

If introduced, the finesse list would need to include a couple for it to be useful.
With swahies being the most recent updated class. I don't expect this idea to be a priority.

Why would a Swashbuckler even use a staff? Game wise and theme wise?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:40 pm 
Mortal

I would rather two-handed staffs get a chance to block and increased chance to parry to compensate for their slowness and lack of damage. One-handed staffs should be made maces.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:48 pm 
Mortal

Travorn wrote:
I would rather two-handed staffs get a chance to block and increased chance to parry to compensate for their slowness and lack of damage. One-handed staffs should be made maces.

And that's why we need a Monk Class!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:19 pm 
Mortal

Chem wrote:

As far as game mechanics go, Swashies are the only ones that have main and off hand. With swashies themed to blades, It doesn't quite fit in SK.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:41 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
I've long wanted to see the staff weapon made more useful in-game too. Even if made just slightly competitive. A staff-wielding monk beating the tar out of somebody or a staff-wielding barbarian chick a la Grace Jones in Conan the Destroyer has always appealed to me.

Unfortunately, even as tough as she was, Grace Jones with her staff -couldn't- compete/compare to the sword-wielding men around her. :cry:

As another alternative I've been trying to formulate some kind of proposal for fusing staff + stave for the mage classes. I don't suspect it's a concept that Dulrik would go for, but I like the idea.

When working on the Jade City, N'Kashya, I tried like hell to get Dulrik to add a "sling-staff" weapon type that would act as a sling for ranged attacks, but act as a quality staff when wielded in direct combat. I still built the item, but my dream was ultimately crushed by reality. :(

I still have hopes that someday the various staff weapons will receive some loving.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:29 pm 
Mortal

I think Volgack's inspiration for the dual-wielding of the staff comes from double-weapon rules that can be found in plenty of games. More specifically found in D&D with each end of the weapon being considered a light weapon and being able to make extra attacks with a penalty.

I've thought of similar changes or additions along those lines. Double-bladed swords and the like for swashies. I had only dreamed it up in part because as a two-hander it would more greatly benefit from strength, and therefore increase the swashbuckler's damage output capability.

Chem wrote:

The same reason they use farming implements as some of their most common weapons?

Chem wrote:
Travorn wrote:

And that's why we need a Monk Class!

We all know Dulrik loves a certain monastery way too much for there to be a monk class that could infringe on them anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:09 am 
Mortal

Baranov wrote:
We all know Dulrik loves a certain monastery way too much for there to be a monk class that could infringe on them anyways.

But the amount of effort to not only create a new class, even with the mechanic already in the game, but also another cabal to replace the current monk style would be an immense project.

Baranov wrote:
I've thought of similar changes or additions along those lines. Double-bladed swords and the like for swashies. I had only dreamed it up in part because as a two-hander it would more greatly benefit from strength, and therefore increase the swashbuckler's damage output capability.

Double-bladed sword could technically be a blade staff. A swashie putting that to good use just make me think of Darth Maul from Star Wars movie.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:56 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Unfortunately, we've had this chat.

http://www.shatteredkingdoms.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23990&p=398371

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:16 am 
Mortal

Meissa wrote:

Perhaps the thread should be focused on staff ideas other than swashie use. Perhaps balancing or bonuses such as ...
Travorn wrote:

How about having staff bonus defense against trip or bash. Using a staff as a balance or prop when being knocked to the ground.

Last edited by Volgacks on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.