Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Seawatch... still....
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:52 am 
Mortal

It's been more than one RL year since the Seawatch area was broken and shop-keepers decided to go out and sell their stuff at the streets. While this is all well and fine - if you don't personally mind - the BANK is always closed down and one can't access the account in any way.

Please, fix it. It's been reported at least a few hundred of times here and with the Bug command.

:cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:14 pm 
Mortal

And not just by you either. The amazing scripts Sargy put in have broken. Fix them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:55 am 
Immortal

?

Having read every single bug/typo/idea log since May, I can only recall seeing one or two reports on shopkeepers in Seawatch, and nothing that suggested a systemic problem with all the shopkeepers--this is the first I've heard of it. I could be wrong, of course, but this whole massive bug-issue is new to me.

Having said that, however, I'll be willing to take a look at it. I don't know why they would suddenly stop working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:09 am 
Mortal

I know I bug logged it a long time back that all the shopkeepers were in the same room and you could only buy stuff off of one of them.

That they are ALWAYS clumped together and short of killing one of them you couldnt buy what you wanted. I was told at the time that they do that quite a bit and it never gets fixed. :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:34 am 
Mortal

There was a code change to the scripting language some time back that broke them. I suspect it was something to do with certain script types being changed to not trigger unless a) somebody is in the area or b) the NPC in question was flagged to always update.

I'm pretty certain that when the code change went in, I went back to Seawatch and (thought I) fixed up the NPCs and (thought I) tested the fixes work. But I suspect, in hindsight, that I missed something, and so the fix wasn't totally successful. There were plenty of updates to the scripting language subsequently that could have broken things further.

Certainly, by the time I returned as a player it was pretty evident that the town wasn't working properly. Pretty certain I bug logged it myself, but perhaps not.

The scripts in Seawatch are complicated as hell. An early effort on my part, and replete with the sort of mistakes typical of an amateur coder, I suspect. My recomendation would be to remove the shopkeeper and shopdoor scripts, plus various other broken "features" (like the corpse collection service) and leave in the town gate open/close script. That's probably the quickest fix.

It was a grand experiment, but it wasn't exactly future proof.

I'd happily offer to come back and fix this one thing myself, but that probably wouldn't be appropriate ;) But it goes without saying, Zav, that if there is anything I can help you with by way of info, etc, you are of course welcome to give me a shout.

-Tat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:33 am 
Mortal

Well, after bug logging it regularly back when the problem first showed up....

We gave up.