Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 68  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:47 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Galstan/Cyril/Ulrich/Elar
Ultimatly that's what will naturally happen should dual memebership be allowed.

Many people are voicing thier fears of a Druid in CoN, but truth be told I don't think that'll really happen very much, considering the PBase is pretty darn good at policing itself.

Hammerites are going to be drawn to the Peacekeepers and vice versa. We'll see the same with Fist and Talons and possibly even Druids and Guardians.

I like the idea of Cabals being the upper ranks of a tribunal, it harkens back to the old days. I think for it all to make sense though though would have to be a compelling RP event forcing the cabals and tribunals to join once again, bu tin a different way then they were joined before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:48 am 
Mortal

juggernaut wrote:
I find spy RP awesome and one of the reasons is because it is so hard to achieve in an excellent way, despite the difficulties.
Now, if you allow ppl to be joining whatever cabal/tribunal combo... guess what: They are all going to be "spies" OMG!

True....and boring.

Jardek wrote:
Of course, I have very little doubt that the rampant use of instant messengers amongst the playerbase will allow for such RP to last for long, but it'll be good while it does.

True....and miserable.

But guess what, the code will be there after the initial fun wears off. Dulrik will have done so much of an a effort and after our support here for building something like that he will have every right to say: [CENSORED] off now and play the game. I can see this system taking the wrong way after a while way too easily.

Tragonis wrote:
Personally, people need to stop trying to fix, balance, change, update, revamp, add, wimp, and remove stuff in sk. People need to stop thinking so much and just log onto the mud and play. Play the game and have fun. That's what I did in my two week break from work. Not worry about changes and stuff, just play the game and have fun. And believe it or not, sk is still fun.

Stop trying to change everything and let sk be for a year or so.

2 cents.

P.S. I recall sk having its peek times when Dulrik was busy making toxic grind and most of the imms where totally inactive.

Also the more complicated the system becomes, the harder it will be in the future for simple, really good solutions to take place. Just dispense (couldn't find better word) your characters among the factions more evenly, help the new players enjoy the game and spread a word about it. Maybe it will do the trick.

PS: I was in favour of the merging solution for a long time but for various reasons not anymore. I don't think it will solve the problem to its root. However if one of these solutions MUST take place, i prefer the merging :P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:26 am 
Mortal Contributor

I don't often critisize ideas Dulrik comes up with, but this is stupid. Being in a cabal and in a tribunal at the same time is exactly like having them cabal and tribunal merged into one entity anyway. It just like mergeing them in a really complex way.

One thing to do is to close down certain groups and re-open them when the mud grows. Or better yet scrap all cabals and have only tribunals and the harlequins for Uxmal.

I truly believe this idea is a bad one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:43 am 
Mortal

I personally think that players should be able to join any number of cabals or tribunals. There should be no coded restriction on this - it is the responsibility of the cabal or tribunal to decide whether or not, let's say, the Midnight Council would also want a secret druid in their midst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:02 am 
Scrap cabals completly even harlies, dish out the skills spells, leave tribunals in place. Uxmal has no Laws, no need for a tribunal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:09 am 
Mortal

This whole idea is hilarious to me, since I remember people clamoring to detach cabals from kingdoms and the various unofficial tribunal-like groups that had sprung up back in the day. The new generation wants to rejoin them, and, I have to say, after trying out a trib char, that as cool as tribs are as standalones, I agree they'd be better off reattached in some way to cabals. Whether that's merging or dual memberships, I'm not sure.

Merging them means greater simplicity, but way less variety. Unless there's really some crazy stuff going down between the trib and cabal, which has been known to happen, every cabal member is going to want to join the local trib and vice versa.

Dual membership means more RP opportunities, as folks have pointed out. Spying, intrigue. Complexity. On the other hand, I'm not sure it's the ideal solution to allowing spying and intrigue. We used to try that sort of stuff back when there were only cabals, and the lack of dual cabal membership made it awkward. Dual trib/cabal pairings won't handle (with code) a situation where a cabal wants to infiltrate another cabal, or trib in trib.

I'd also be a little concerned about balance issues. We've accepted that tribs and cabals have their pros and cons, and most anyone who wants to can make it into one or the other, so there's not so much of a gap between the haves and have-nots. But what happens to balance when some (most?) folks have both trib and cabal affiliations? They roll that perfect char whose RP supports getting the best trib spell-ups to pair with those perfect cabal skills for their class/race combo? I'm not saying it's untenable, but it's something that ought to be kept in mind. Merged tribs and cabals would leave a small set of combinations to consider. Easily handled. Freeform dual membership provides many, many more. Might be harder to balance.

In any case, what I really want to see is tribs be highly public and cabals be highly secretive again. I miss those days. Whatever it takes to make this happen, make it so.

NothingXS wrote:
To offset the deal with Midnight, you could ostensibly split the Midnight Council into something like the 9th Legion ([LEGION]), and generally most members of Midnight would also be in the Legion. On the other hand, the Council might send spies into other countries...

I was just going to suggest this. Nice one.

Not sure what options there are for Teronian Harlies. If you're from outside Uxmal, join a trib, secretly join the Harlies, make it your mission to disrupt your local kingdom, that works. If the rules could be bent for Harlies to allow them to join other cabals to disrupt them, that'd work for the theme, too, but that wouldn't make any sense at all from a balance perspective. I'm not overly familiar with the Teronian guilds, but maybe they could somehow become a substitute for a trib? (Or are they already?) Obtain some local political power through your own self-interested faction?

Peace,
Bux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:18 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Briner, Senach, Myson, others.
Spying is completely feasable in the current playing field. When I played Briner, I had spies that reported to me in the Harlies, Adepts, and the Thieves guild. Not saying who, though. It's possible to do, just tricky. and very profitable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:00 am 
Implementor

One Valiant Truth wrote:
The MC of course would not be allowed to join another cabal/tribunal. Once MC always MC.

If this were to happen, we'd start another group for the Empire's Army. Probably Soldiers of the Empire.

One Valiant Truth wrote:
I just have the question of how you would fix the cabal channel to work with dual-wielding....

That part seems simple enough. We already have separate cb and tb commands for channels, they just do the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't even aware of the tb command. But if we did dual-wielding I'd have them address separate channels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:02 am 
Implementor

Morovik wrote:
I did not get it right but did Dulrik mean that a player will be able to have both alts into different cabals/tribunals as well?

You would still only be allowed to have one character that can join factions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:16 am 
Implementor

Orac wrote:
I don't often critisize ideas Dulrik comes up with, but this is stupid. Being in a cabal and in a tribunal at the same time is exactly like having them cabal and tribunal merged into one entity anyway. It just like mergeing them in a really complex way.

To the people that keep asking why I came up with/support this idea, you obviously didn't read the original post. I didn't come up with the idea - it was based off of a post by Lei Kung some time ago. You could probably still find it by searching the forums. I've been waiting for him to read this thread and defend his idea. I also don't support it - the point of the thread is to convince me whether or not I should support it.

I do think it makes more sense than merging together groups that don't have the same goals, such as Druids/Guardians while effectively doubling the number of members that can be in groups. It seems to offer more opportunities for gameplay rather than less - both in RP and in character power sets. I'm against regressing to a time of less options.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 68  Next