Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 68  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:22 pm 
Mortal

Jardek wrote:
I think that'd be a lot more difficult to code than simply splitting tribunals and cabals into two different sections, Algon.

I could perhaps see a character being a member of more than one tribunal, but being a member of more than one cabal just seems silly and can work in almost no circumstances.

Being a member of more than one cabal ICly makes perfect sense. Adepts and Harlequin spying, certain characters who work as ambassadors to both the hammer and fist, a character who is a druid hiding in the hammer - etc.

I know it is far harder to code, of course, than simply 1cabal/tribunal, which is why I didn't post it until asked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:54 pm 
The only potential reason to be joining two cabals at the same time is as a lying spy, or possibly (but probably not) as a diplomat.

There is no real legitimate reason to be joining two cabals at the same time, and I don't think it's really necessary to enact such a substantial change to the game to enable something so far out of the mainstream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:42 pm 
Mortal

Two cabals at once? Hells no...

If so, I'm rolling up a harlie/hammer warrior.

I'll ride a horse in no group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:00 pm 
Mortal

One Valiant Truth wrote:
Two cabals at once? Hells no...

If so, I'm rolling up a harlie/hammer warrior.

I'll ride a horse in no group.

Good luck trying to get into the hammer with a character as well as the harlequin and making yourself unknown. Better yet, good luck pking with the Hammer without them realizing you are doing it not grouped with your horse? You'll be uninducted within 2 pk's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:04 pm 
Mortal

What if it was with a centaur?

Or a giant hammer/fist shaman?

It would just be really unbalancing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:05 pm 
Mortal

Can we have an update on this thread please, so those of us that can't really play right now can have an idea of whats going on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:08 pm 
Mortal

One Valiant Truth wrote:
What if it was with a centaur?

Or a giant hammer/fist shaman?

It would just be really unbalancing.

I am telling you, OVT - it would be nearly impossible to maintain your cover for an extended period of time. If you are constantly rping as a spy and risk getting your character owned by an uninduct and gank, more power to you - please, take 10 cabal abilities and only be able to use 5 openly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:32 pm 
Mortal

Alright we all know Algon's vote is to have non-secret society cabals with unlimited membership. I think everyone sees how unreasonable that is. So lets just stop feeding his fantasy by responding to rants and maybe get some more reasonable posts on the topic.

Lei Kung

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:37 pm 
Mortal

you could use all your powers being a hammer/fist, depends on you use rp it

you don't have to be a spy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:54 am 
Mortal

Multiple cabal membership? No thanks.

Personally, Oathbreaker should still apply to cabal membership, but be lifted from tribunals. And I agree with Lei Kung. No reason why you couldn't be a loyal patriot serving within a tribunal, and be an equally loyal member of some secret mystical society (read: cabal).

Quote:
Quote:
Tatali0n wrote:
But if your going to code out the possibility of being able to hold leadership in both a cabal and a tribunal, you might as well not bother with the dual membership thing.

I don’t understand this comment at all. I see that there are lots of benefits that could be garnered from dual membership without the leaders being allowed to have dual membership. This is like saying its not worth it to win the lottery unless it is the jackpot…those smaller prizes of $100,000 aren’t worth it.

Nah. Call it subjective opinion if you will, but personally, I'd view dual membership without dual leadership as broken, and would rather leave things just as they are than accept such a compromise.

Speaking purely from a personal point of view, if I commit to and give my complete loyalty to an organisation, I do so with the hope and ambition of one day climbing to the top and leading that organisation. If I had to face the choice of leading either one or the other, that would be as bad as having to decide between mutually exclusive cabal vs tribunal (as it is now) in the first place.

Quote:
Quote:
Tatali0n wrote:
The Harlequin leader somehow takes power in the Peacekeepers (for example). So, for the foreseeable future, Harlequin membership almost certainly guarantees you a place in the Peacekeepers if you want it. Upset the Harlequin and you don't have a chance of making it into the Peacekeepers. So what?

Again, if dual leadership isn’t allowed, I don’t see this as a real problem because collusion should be easy to spot. As for the "so what" question, one of the problems with allowing a cabal total control of a tribunal (or vice versa) is then one of the organizations lose their identity.

No, the collusion would not be easy to spot, and in any case would end up being a judgement call on the part of the staff - the sort of decision that attracts derision and cries of unfair and bias whichever way it goes.

So what if one of the organisations looses its identity? These organisations are bigger than the players involved, they persist when the players have moved on. The subsumed identity would re-emerge as part of the natural cycle of things.

The very fact that a strong player could dominate two organisations to the point that they appeared as one is actually a good thing, not that such would necessarily happen. The identity and purpose of cabal and tribunal is so distinct that whilst one might certainly flavour the other if there were shared leadership, I doubt the identity of each would be totally merged and lost.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 68  Next