Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 1/15/2007 Code Update Q&A
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:05 am 
Mortal

My only problem so far is that the quest command is listing me as currently doing quests I've already completed (which might be leading to a bug in a particular area).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:26 am 
Mortal

Dear Dulrik: Thank you for being awesome.
Sincerely, players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:42 am 
Othet wrote:
Dear Dulrik: Thank you for being awesome.
Sincerely, players.

QTF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:56 am 
Mortal Philanthropist

SK Character: Imolth
Dulrik wrote:
Fast Affects System:
- Spells and abilities can update many times during a single tick
- Partial list of updated abilities: bless, blindness, bolt of glory,
chill touch, color spray, confusion, chaos, dirt kick, fear, hold
person, intimidate, magma spray, rallying cry, snare, taunt,
tongues, understand, voodoo

I did not quite get that...
Does it mean that now the affects from these spells/skills last a fixed amount of time other than "till the next tick" ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:50 am 
Mortal Contributor

looks that way to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:27 am 
Mortal

Yes. My guess is that D broke 'ticks' into mini-ticks (such as rounds of battle), so that time-based effects are now less dependent on when in the tick you get hit.

Post subject: Re: 1/15/2007 Code Update Q&A
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:39 am 
Implementor

Cyra wrote:
My only problem so far is that the quest command is listing me as currently doing quests I've already completed (which might be leading to a bug in a particular area).

The quest tracker command was not as simple to add as it might look from the results. Every quest on the list had to be examined and many of them had to be updated. It was not possible to make it backward compatible in all cases. In some situations, this means that even though you completed the quest, the quest tracker won't know it. In other situations, it might mean that the quest was updated incorrectly.

If you have an issue, please mail me your character name and the relevant quest names and I will investigate.

Also note that there may be some quests in the game that are not on the list at all. A few of them, such as the death quest, are intentionally omitted because of their unusual nature. But others may have never made it into our quest database. If you start a quest and it never shows up on your quest tracker, or if you complete a quest and it doesn't update the number of quests completed count, please email me the details.

PS. So did the number of quests available surprise you? One of the reasons I wanted to add this was because I am pretty sure that a great deal of quest content was being overlooked.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:46 am 
Dulrik wrote:

PS. So did the number of quests available surprise you? One of the reasons I wanted to add this was because I am pretty sure that a great deal of quest content was being overlooked.

Yes! Wow, 30 out of 88, and I thought I did a ton.

Seriously D, this is a great addition and -excellent- for attracting new players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:19 pm 
Implementor

Benzo Balrog wrote:
Yes. My guess is that D broke 'ticks' into mini-ticks (such as rounds of battle), so that time-based effects are now less dependent on when in the tick you get hit.

Actually the updates are on the same time scale as bard lyrics, but that description is close enough. Also not every single spell uses the new system, only ones that needed it. In general, I applied it only to affects that had short constant durations, and especially affects that previously only lasted 0/1 ticks. The benefit is that the duration of the ability is the same regardless of when the next tick is.

Also the duration is now often able to be level-dependent. Instead of lasting 5 ticks, the understand spell will last a number of "combat rounds" based on a multiple of your level. It still averages the same amount of time, but it will grow as you gain more experience.

Before you ask, the gate spell is not eligible for this change, because it does not use the affect system.

This change also allows us to do more DoT (damage over time) type of spell affects in the future. As an example of that, magma spray has been updated. If the magma sticks to you, it will do damage every combat round instead of every tick, which is less damage per hit but far more often. As I mentioned in the update, the total amount of damage that magma spray does is still the same, although its broken up differently over time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 pm 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
If you have an issue, please mail me your character name and the relevant quest names and I will investigate.

I have bug logged it 10-15 days ago, I bug logged it today as well. The D'Astae camp quests are totally broken atm.

I can email you with all the details if needed, but if you track the bug logs you'll find all the details there.