Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:05 pm 
I'd say it's around 40/60!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:05 pm 
Mortal

Yup.

Again, its a low enough/high enough number that you SHOULD be able to please both sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:32 pm 
Mortal

You need to remember that people don't complain about escaping a taunt, so you'll get a skewed perspective about its success rate if you look only at the stuff on these boards. My character has died to a group versus one taunt gank too, but I really don't like to call something overpowered without real numbers. We don't have any clue how many times taunt has failed for every dramatic success story, and it's not a good idea to base arguments on a small sample of anecdotes when randomness is a factor.

Case in point, both Grakus and Im2old4u say they've never saved against taunt, but then my character with only Clever WIS has resisted several attempts from various swashbucklers. And no, I didn't use cheat0r ways to make myself immune.

I do think the group versus one save should be looked at, if only to see whether there's something wrong in the way it counts combatants, but I hope that any tweaks wouldn't make taunt useless in its other functions. You also have to consider say the party fighting a boss NPC with a swashbuckler as the main tank, who may have to taunt the NPC off someone else if it targets the wrong party member.

The trouble is that taunt serves many roles for a swashbuckler. It's their equivalent of rescue in that it lets them take damage for another party member, it's their equivalent of bash in that it lets them lock people in combat, and yes, it's also the nastiest thing that they can do to any INT-dependent class. Maybe the solution is to break up the skill so that it isn't the swashie's all-in-one combat command. However, I don't think we need more changes along the lines of the last update, which only looked at things from a PK perspective and ignored the other aspects of the skill. It's a little worse in the rescue department now, both from increased lag (since the swashie needs to taunt all the NPCs one by one) and from the frenzy effect (especially coupled with the fact that affected NPCs can still retarget, but now with increased accuracy and damage from the taunt).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:24 pm 
thunder wrote:

Case in point, both Grakus and Im2old4u say they've never saved against taunt, but then my character with only Clever WIS has resisted several attempts from various swashbucklers. And no, I didn't use cheat0r ways to make myself immune.

Are you making the save, or are -they- failing the skill-check?

Betting dollars to donuts that you are on the receiving end of them failing their skill-check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:45 pm 
Mortal

I don't fail my skill check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:55 pm 
Mortal

lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:29 pm 
Mortal

First of all Ardith, I'd prefer you keeping your flaming away from gameplay.

Apart from that, you did say that taunt sucks. But when taunt becomes a group gank "I win" skill with no escape for at least half classes if well prepared(if not all classes, etherealform is not really an escape, any good attacker goes ethereal and ganks the target as well), it's far from sucking as a skill.

Apart from the fact that the CHA vs WIS save is laughable most of the time, since helf's CHA(most used swashie race) is above the WIS of an average PC(even most casters) as it is restricted by the mechanics. And it's not only against all deep elves or half elves. Or do you want me to remind you how in equally sized groups your swashie did a 2/2(or 3/3) on my shaman who had more WIS than you had CHA?

From my tests now, a 22 CHA swashie vs my 25 WIS shaman, 1 on 1, has failed at most 2 times before landing the taunt and that happened only once. Usually taunt lands at first attempt, or 2nd(it is almost 50-50 in these two). For such an overpowered skill(in terms of what it provides to the swashie), taunt really has a high chance to land.

I can sit and do more tests, probably getting 100 taunt attempts and post the outcome. But it seems to me it's too overpowered of a skill anyway.

To you it sucks, but as I said, you play a swashbuckler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:28 am 
Mortal

I'd prefer you quit boiling my argument down to "taunt sucks", and taking it out of context, but I'm not going to get that, am I?

Hell, you're even giving me my own opinion. You could probably just argue it out with yourself. That'd be slightly amusing.

However, I'm going to amuse myself by beating my own chest, and brag about how I plowed a half-elf swashbuckler's face into the dirt and then junked her loot afterwards. Taunt is so overpowered, that it enabled me to do that. I did this after being inspired by the legendary match between Frank Shamrock and the Green Ranger, where Shamrock won by slamming the Green Ranger at 43 seconds into the match.

Here's a good idea: why don't you pay attention to your triggers and run for the hills when the taunt effects wear off.

God, I'm so awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:49 am 
Mortal

Alright, just for the record. The 6 vs 1 thing was not even about the taunt.

I've seen the log. What would Delear have had time to do?

Bash and trip keep people from doing literally ANYTHING...ON NOEZ OVER POWERED!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:55 am 
Mortal

With the new duration changes does taunt refresh every time you land a new one or only after it's worn off and you hit the person again afterwards?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next