Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Does this make sense?
Yes 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
No 77%  77%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Re: Allies, war and guards.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:36 am 
Mortal

maxman wrote:
Imperialistic_Babble wrote:
Yeah, SK really needs to get away from NPC wars. I'm looking forward to the day that D finally disables spells for tribunal guards and people have to get buffs by finding actual resources for it.

You know what? I'm all for the only thing getting a NPC are Warlocks, and only because it's a summoned elemental. How about we do that instead? All this pet/guard crap is silly anyway. The spells from the guards is pretty much the only real reason to play in a tribunal anyway. The only other benefit is a slightly buffer NPC to run around with and only in a warring country.

Law immunity anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:09 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Ivan, Mythros
True, I did overlook that. But if I'm outlawed everywhere else... does it really matter? I mean.. sure, it's a safe haven, but I can't go anywhere. Why not have a cool hideout that has protection should I be ambushed? Anyway... this isn't about that! So I'll stop the derailment.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:11 pm 
Mortal

So, suppose there´s a world war, like Ayamao plus Taslamar VS North plus Empire.

If the fight is in Taslamar, Ayamao can't bring its NPCs to the fight.
If the fight is in the Empire, the North can't bring its NPCs.

Isn't that a defender's disadvantage or something?

Yes, NPC wars are lame, but if we must have NPC wars, as we do, we should not structure them to give people a defender's disadvantage.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:35 am 
Mortal

Anjin wrote:
So, suppose there´s a world war, like Ayamao plus Taslamar VS North plus Empire.

Yes, NPC wars are lame, but if we must have NPC wars, as we do, we should not structure them to give people a defender's disadvantage.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to see it this way. Nice point of view.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:31 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
Anjin wrote:

Bounty NPCs, wandering guard NPCs, and easy access to new guard NPCs if yours get killed is by far worth the fact that the other team might have 1 or 2 more guards. Even then, it's slightly unreliable/dangerous to put together a group in enemy territory consisting of guards from different countries, because that means you both have to bring your guards into the enemy territory and then disband one of the groups while inviting the other guard NPCs in correctly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:21 pm 
Mortal

Edoras wrote:
Anjin wrote:

Bounty NPCs, wandering guard NPCs, and easy access to new guard NPCs if yours get killed is by far worth the fact that the other team might have 1 or 2 more guards. Even then, it's slightly unreliable/dangerous to put together a group in enemy territory consisting of guards from different countries, because that means you both have to bring your guards into the enemy territory and then disband one of the groups while inviting the other guard NPCs in correctly.

Don't allied kingdoms typically have their soldiers separated by ranks on the battle field? I don't recall hearing a lot about mixing troops together. Using separate groups would be fine, and it's not like the two groups can't attack the same enemy. It fits as far as logic is concerned. From what I've read, it might be a matter of how well it works in game as far as a balance stand point. Though... as Anjin wrote, does it not make sense that the defender would have the advantage?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:26 am 
Mortal

No, it doesn't, because bounty NPCs, wandering guard NPCs, and easy access to new guard NPCs if yours get killed is by far worth the fact that the other team might have 1 or 2 more guards.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:37 am 
Mortal

Edoras wrote:
No, it doesn't, because bounty NPCs, wandering guard NPCs, and easy access to new guard NPCs if yours get killed is by far worth the fact that the other team might have 1 or 2 more guards.

Okay, it would seem we're looking at the logical part of this conversation from different points of view. I'm speaking from a real point of view, not a 'it makes sense because of how the game is' point of view. I understand that a lot of people are going to agree with the game play PoV, however, I would like to think for an RP type MUD, there is some real life logic involved. Perhaps my way of looking at it isn't tainted by 'how it use to be' so I don't compare it to something from the past. I'm looking at it how it is now. The bounty NPCs and wandering guards are a joke, as far as actually posing a threat. I don't think I recall ever having to deal with one outside of a town, though I'm not saying it's not possible. As for guards being easier to come by... why would it make sense for them to be difficult to find i your own kingdom? It shouldn't be, perhaps that is why it was changed... because it makes sense.

Edoras wrote:
Even then, it's slightly unreliable/dangerous to put together a group in enemy territory consisting of guards from different countries, because that means you both have to bring your guards into the enemy territory and then disband one of the groups while inviting the other guard NPCs in correctly.

Why wouldn't you put the group together in your ally's territory? I mean.. that IS what this thread is about. The ability to bring guard members to your ally's land and help protect it. Being able to do that would also allow you to form your group in either place and attack your enemy together as well. The real issue is not being able to bring your guards to your ally's land. As it now stands, we can form a couple groups and bring our own guards and just attack the same group/person just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:47 am 
Mortal

It's pretty uncommon to be able to attack another country with two separate groups that are just as effective separately as they are while together.

You may think that bounty NPCs and wandering guards are useless, but they give a huge advantage to the defender in tribunal PvP. Bounty NPCs don't do any damage but they A) inform you of the enemy's location and B) will consistently delay the enemy team for you to set up a good engagement. Wandering/stationed NPC guards are also sturdy and do damage, and engaging when someone walks into a room with wandering guards + bounty NPCs means that you have a very large advantage where you're almost guaranteed to get some free damage in before they focus your team. Bounty NPCs + wandering guards also make it nigh impossible to invade a city where a defending trib member has access to ranged combat.

Those advantages don't even come close to the ability to be able to bring 1 or 2 guards with your group, especially considering that all it takes is someone to shoot the guards you brought, or flamestrike/fireball/magic missile/anything your group and they'll just walk off anyway. Using guards in offensive territory in tribunal PvP is only effectively for surprise ganks or when the other players are incompetent at drawing out your guards. No one who has learned that you can draw tribunal NPCs will ever say that being able to bring 1 or 2 more guards is worth the cost of having to go on the aggressive.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:24 am 
Mortal

Unrelated complaint that should be moved to another thread:

Can we please make it so that grouped guards don't run off like idiots when shot with arrows, magic missiles, etc?

I'd like for players to fight each other, not the stupid code.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next