Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official 2013 Taunt Suggestion Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:02 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Darth Maul had a double-bladed light saber staff thing. He dual-wielded nothing.

That'd be pretty slick, though. Give swashies bonuses to two-handed staff weapons as an option instead of just using two one-handed ones. Double bladestaves could get pretty wicked!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:18 am 
Implementor

You are right. Clearly it has been too long since I watched that fight. My recollection was that once the light-staff got broken in half, he fought with both halves independently. But not so. I must have SO wanted that to be true when I watched that fight, that I overwrote George Lucas's version in my head.

But in watching the fight again on YouTube, the only move that Maul performed that is applicable to swashbucklers was to kick Obi-Wan in the face -- three times! (Obi-Wan was such a n00b.)

If we are going to use the first trilogy as a model for swashbucklers, then clearly dual wielding is not enough:

Perhaps a magical ability that lets you grow two more arms is warranted.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:28 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
HAHAHAHA! YES!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:36 am 
Mortal

Maybe I'm too old school, but swashies always make me think of Errol Flynn...and then I see them in game and get dissapointed.

Then I just picture them as the sword-whipping fighter in the streets of Cairo in Raiders of the Lost Ark, before Finney-- err, I mean Jones-- shoots him in the chest and walks away.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:18 am 
Mortal

Would staff swashbucklers be do-able from a coding perspective? That is (I assume), if a swashbuckler wielded certain two-handed weapons (the staff subtypes in this case), they would then count as both the main hand and the off hand for the purposes of dual-wielding. If that happened, finesse would presumably be added to the staff subtypes.

If it were implemented this way, looking at comparisons of weapon speed, a swashbuckler wielding a staff would only ever be able to get 3 attacks, or 4 with haste/speed...except with a cane, which is one-handed and stupid anyways. This could be made up for by the fact that all three attacks with the weapon would benefit from being wielded in two hands, and the fact that unlike other two-handed fighters, the swashbuckler would retain the bonuses to parrying granted by dual-wielding.

If you're looking for ways to make the swashbuckler class not only more viable, but more interesting and dynamic to play, it seems like this would be a very nice touch. I know it would personally make ME more interested in playing a swashbuckler. I think you would still need to tweak taunt so that it couldn't be negated (at least not as easily as it is now), and I really really still think that swashbucklers should have a second-row option other than an iron/leather bandalore or a landsknecht with only two attacks, but that's neither here nor there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:18 am 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
But in watching the fight again on YouTube, the only move that Maul performed that is applicable to swashbucklers was to kick Obi-Wan in the face -- three times! (Obi-Wan was such a n00b.)

Yes you just have to reimagine swashes in the image of Darth Maul. But you do offer a good counter...

Quote:
If we are going to use the first trilogy as a model for swashbucklers, then clearly dual wielding is not enough:

Perhaps a magical ability that lets you grow two more arms is warranted.

I take this to mean you never saw the Cartoon Network Clone Wars version of this dude owning face on a bunch of Jedi at once. That was a way cooler Grievous.

Last edited by Styles on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:20 am 
Mortal

Yuarheer wrote:
Maybe I'm too old school, but swashies always make me think of Errol Flynn...and then I see them in game and get dissapointed.

Then I just picture them as the sword-whipping fighter in the streets of Cairo in Raiders of the Lost Ark, before Finney-- err, I mean Jones-- shoots him in the chest and walks away.

I don't always go old school, but when I do, I prefer the Most Interesting Man in The World.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:31 am 
Mortal

Meissa wrote:
Darth Maul had a double-bladed light saber staff thing. He dual-wielded nothing.

That'd be pretty slick, though. Give swashies bonuses to two-handed staff weapons as an option instead of just using two one-handed ones. Double bladestaves could get pretty wicked!

I don't see why this is an either/or proposition. I mean, you can dual-wield a double lightsaber and a normal lightsaber. We need swashes going bo staff + greatsword and not only parrying arrows but sending them flying back in the face of the shooters.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:36 am 
Mortal

Yuarheer wrote:

All I'm sayin'.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:36 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
Dulrik wrote:

I think the more noobish thing is to use kick in pvp. Obviously it didn't save him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next