Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Questions on the Announcement on RP
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:30 pm 
Mortal

Curious, so if a hellion/paladin is in a group going to raid a HQ or town. When they enter the area, are they expected to shout the challenge?

Second, would it be good/bad/meh RP for a hellion/paladin to declare a challenge while invisible/hidden/otherwise unseen?

Post subject: Re: Questions on the Announcement on RP
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:48 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
I hesitate to make a blanket call on this. There are several ways that a challenge can be issued, and they could vary greatly while still being valid. For instance, a hellion may post a blanket warning to an entire faction or city via astral board, and a paladin may simply tell an elusive enemy to "ready your sword," just before entering battle. Neither is wrong; however, attacking with no warning at all of any kind clearly is. It depends upon the roleplay established by your character through his or her squiring, faith and other factors. A paladin of Dulrik and a paladin of Ain may approach the same exact scenario differently, and the same measuring stick can't really be used for a hellion of Sargas.

Aberrant characters should, perhaps even more so than principled ones, regard the integrity of their honor with such importance that they'd never place themselves in a situation where it could be questioned. The same could easily be said of Dulrik paladins, as honor is a principle tenant of their faith. Alshainite paladins wouldn't want to be perceived as cowards by not issuing a challenge, but Ainites and Sargas followers may feel that the letter of the law of the code might be sufficient without regard to its spirit in certain situations.

Long story short: Use your judgment.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:22 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
Uh, you can't measure a Princ char's honor by the same stick you measure an Abber char's honor. The two define honor in two entirely different ways.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:04 pm 
Immortal

I don't believe I suggested that you could. In fact, I believe I spent that entire post saying what you just did.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:07 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
Quote:
Aberrant characters should, perhaps even more so than principled ones, regard the integrity of their honor with such importance that they'd never place themselves in a situation where it could be questioned. The same could easily be said of Dulrik paladins, as honor is a principle tenant of their faith.

Those statements, as typed, combine the concepts of honor into a singular definition which will presumably be judged by the current (and largely untrustworthy) staff. That is wrong, on both fronts, and is what I was arguing against.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:27 pm 
Immortal

You're purposely ignoring the sentence just prior to it, which indicates that knights would approach things differently and the whole previous paragraph, which indicates that a single "right" answer doesn't exist.

But you can continue to argue selective semantics.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:21 pm 
Mortal

ObjectivistActivist wrote:
Uh, you can't measure a Princ char's honor by the same stick you measure an Abber char's honor. The two define honor in two entirely different ways.

At first I was like "but my character IS aberrant..."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:34 pm 
Mortal

Galactus wrote:
Second, would it be good/bad/meh RP for a hellion/paladin to declare a challenge while invisible/hidden/otherwise unseen?

I think you would need to be visible when the challenge is issued, but not executed. I can envision a hellion issuing a challenge to an enemy and then few months (days in real time) sneaking up on that person invisible/hidden and attacking them.

There is a reason hellions get hide and invisibility, after all. Wouldn't think it would be quite as kosher for a paladin.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:39 pm 
Mortal

FinneyOwnzU wrote:
Galactus wrote:

I think you would need to be visible when the challenge is issued, but not executed. I can envision a hellion issuing a challenge to an enemy and then few months (days in real time) sneaking up on that person invisible/hidden and attacking them.

There is a reason hellions get hide and invisibility, after all. Wouldn't think it would be quite as kosher for a paladin.

I agree that is how it should be handled, just wanted to clarify because of what is an 'honorable' challenge or not.

Another question then, if someone posts on the Astral board, "I challenge thee Nubbit!" He then attacks him later, does he have to reissue another challenge? Or until the other guy submits/surrenders all a paladin/hellion needs to do is issue one challenge to everyone he doesn't like and good till he deletes?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:26 am 
Immortal

I imagine that if you're using the astral board, it should be to announce an ongoing vendetta, not a one-time face off. A religious war, a faction confrontation, a lifelong nemesis -- that sort of thing. And the challenge should be fairly specific. It can be removed and/or a second notice announcing victory or defeat can be posted when the conflict dissipates.

I don't think it's the preferred method of challenge in most cases, but I can see it as valid in some. Again, it's situational.