Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: idea from rp announcement.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:39 pm 
Implementor

Actually I already have an idea on my backlog that is sort of similar. Basically you'd be able to write your background and ongoing history to a journal that only you and the staff can see at any time. You'd only be able to edit the journal entry you'd last written (so no re-writing history to favor yourself).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:41 pm 
Mortal

Would love it!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:03 pm 
Mortal

I'm very happy about the RP rules being enforced! I am not happy about the fact that one particular imm seems to be picked from a trash can. And I would be happy if OA picked another mud to play.

On topic: I'm not sure I'm for this sort of implementation. It would make rp too restrictive. A couple of years back it was very common that people would ask eachother about their backgrounds in depth. At times it was a requirement to have a very meaty rp background to join certain factions. I'd rather see this sort of behavior returning than we get a strict rp-log-file that dictates how we should act, or rather on what background we act.

The reason for this being, according to my own experinces, is that characters develop a much more rich character background through conversation and confrontation with other characters. It is an ongoing development. Fluid. You will get inspired during conversation, due to questions you had not thought of asking yourself about your characters past, or whatever. Meanwhile, you are making a social contract with people when you tell them about your history and what you dream about becoming. The social contract should be enough to keep people within their set rp borders.

Last edited by alvarro on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:16 pm 
Mortal

Sometimes I make a basic outline of my characters history without much details. Then I begin to add more detail as I move along. *warning - long winded example * Sometimes making small talk, or sometimes because someone asked me "how my mother and father meet". So would it be looked down upon if I were to start by saying my father was a soldier of the empire, then later on add that he joined because his family was too poor to fed the whole family and they sort of forced him into it? Later on I would say my father met my mother while on duty, she worked at an inn where he stayed? Then from there I could say my mother was the daughter of a [REDACTED] who gave my mother to the innkeeper to keep her from also becoming a hooker? I mean, That sounds like a good background to a Hellion who wants to join the MC, but when I rolled it would be just a hellion who wants to become a solder like his father?

So would it be alright to have a vague starting and add on to the history as time goes on, so long as it fits? Or would we be expected to be somewhat specific?

TL:DR EDIT: Alvarro posted while I wrote this, I agree with most of what he said and pretty much stated the same in a more confusing long winded post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:17 pm 
Mortal

Tragonis wrote:
Whatever, I don't know who new Alshain is, but give the guy or girl some slack. It is a thankless job, and anyone who goes out of their way like OA likes to do and grief imms not only wastes their time, but turn them into grumpy souls. We just got Dalamar back, and last I remember, he got pretty burned out by dorks.

So if he makes a snark post, so be it. I am glad the RP rules have been made a little more strict. I hate the elf delf friendly rps.

Where is the like button, Hello

+ 1111111111111111111111111111

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:41 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
I would imagine that you could be as vague or specific in the journal as you like, and that there would be plenty of "room" for growth as this is the ideal way to play the game. However, you wouldn't have it to fall back on if you failed to use it and found yourself helled because there was a questionable incident.

One of my characters told people a completely different history than the one she lived. Literally two characters ever truly knew her. And while nothing she did would necessarily have tripped an alignment alarm, her actions would seem to contradict what she outwardly said at times. This journal would allow a place for me to explain what happened, what I'm telling people happened and why I fabricated a story.

I don't find the idea restrictive but complimentary. It gives the staff a look at a character that an omnipresent and omnipotent God in such a world would have in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:43 am 
Mortal

Not sure which is funnier here. That Alshain out-snarked a snark. Or that jennbo and alvarro are upset that Alshain out-snarked a snark.

On topic: @alvarro: seems to me you example doesn't betray anything by adding on, afterall, its not like you're saying your hellion's father was a soldier, and then later saying he was an herb merchant all his life. And as far as D's idea... I don't see why you couldn't add a later entry that adds onto a previous entry (like clarifying how mother and father met, or who mother was, since it hadn't previously been stated) as long as it doesn't negate a previous entry. And it seems like it would be ongoing, so you get into a conversation and come up with answers to questions you hadn't thought of, and enrich your character's history, and then add those things into the journal (assuming D's idea becomes a reality). Etc, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:49 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Airkli
alvarro wrote:
At times it was a requirement to have a very meaty rp background to join certain factions..

Miss this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:03 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Amorette
Yuarheer wrote:
Not sure which is funnier here. That Alshain out-snarked a snark. Or that jennbo and alvarro are upset that Alshain out-snarked a snark.

I thought Alshain was directing his response at Cordance, which I thought was unwarranted. I didn't even read OA's post. I'm still not a big fan of an IMM using the "GO PLAY ANOTHER GAME" line, or the spelling of "untrusttworthy" and "unabel."

I'm not even an IMMstigator! I love our IMMs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:26 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Xasuki
With how slim our player base is I am truly disheartened and disappointed in the response "go play another game". I have/will always do my best to encourage new players to come and stay in the game, whether it be by voting or through mentoring both in and after the academy's. The IMM staff IMO should never say go play another game just as a business should never tell someone to go try their competitor. This truly frustrates me....

Chris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next