Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: idea from rp announcement.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:38 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Airkli
Would be better to build a library in game and have a room dedicated to each class.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:43 am 
Implementor

That would also be a possibility.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:50 am 
Mortal

It sucks this did not exist from the start of the game. It would be nice to go and visit some of the journals from the first crop of characters, or read the journal of my first character.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:57 am 
Mortal

Arelgama wrote:
There is no way I would fill out the journal. I play this game for a break from work and would not play it anymore if this was implemented and required. Although I'm sure I will just get told to go play another game.

^^This.

As long as the journal remains optional, it doesn't matter to me. However, this seems a little too much like "work" to be enjoyable. I generally have a vague notion of back story for a character, but the rest is impromptu. In fact, I dislike interacting with players (and their characters) that try to be a director and treat the game like a story they have written.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:02 am 
Mortal

I would like to make it, if only to re-read it myself at a later time. It i the mud version of taking pictures to look at years later

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:11 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Treating the game like a story is only really problematic when players don't account for the fact that they're not sole authors. It's a collaborative effort, and no one player drives any plot by him or herself. Yes, it should absolutely be impromptu, and a character should not be unaffected by interactions and occurrences throughout his or her life. I think we may all have seen examples of the staunch, rigid character types that don't, and we don't need to call them out here. Keeping an open concept is essential, but I don't feel that the journal hinders or is mutually exclusive to this at all. For characters who like to have a depth of background and ongoing "story," it's a nice addition. For those who like to establish a minimal idenity, it's optional.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 am 
Mortal

Meissa wrote:
Treating the game like a story is only really problematic when players don't account for the fact that they're not sole authors. It's a collaborative effort, and no one player drives any plot by him or herself. Yes, it should absolutely be impromptu, and a character should not be unaffected by interactions and occurrences throughout his or her life. I think we may all have seen examples of the staunch, rigid character types that don't, and we don't need to call them out here. Keeping an open concept is essential, but I don't feel that the journal hinders or is mutually exclusive to this at all. For characters who like to have a depth of background and ongoing "story," it's a nice addition. For those who like to establish a minimal idenity, it's optional.

Staff members are guilty of this, too. I remember a particular GRP that should have concluded in an abrupt manner due to the actions of a character involved, but the staff member running the show decided to smite him instead and continue on with the "script" as if nothing happened.

I need to find that log - it always makes me laugh. Anyone reading that remembers, feel free to PM a link. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:21 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
Are you talking about Choensang's "go to hell, ****bag" moment? Because that was totally fine from the IMM's standpoint.

I mean, hilarious all around and very memorable, but definitely fine from the IMM's standpoint.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:21 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Theodoric
Arelgama wrote:
There is no way I would fill out the journal. I play this game for a break from work and would not play it anymore if this was implemented and required. Although I'm sure I will just get told to go play another game.

This seems more like a personal problem - you shouldn't make random comments into referendums against yourself. Most folks like playing with you and nobody was suggesting that you're the type of problem player who should find a new home. While it's often hard not to process things in a way that puts us at the center of the action, I think you're getting overwrought about something that clearly wasn't related to you. As to the journal itself, Dulrik's clearly stated multiple times that, if implemented, something like this would be purely voluntary.

I think it'd be a cool add.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:24 am 
Mortal

Edoras wrote:
Are you talking about Choensang's "go to hell, ****bag" moment? Because that was totally fine from the IMM's standpoint.

I mean, hilarious all around and very memorable, but definitely fine from the IMM's standpoint.

It might have been him - I don't recall. I remember the character involved did something entirely unexpected that should have ended the GRP, but the staff member in charge decided to smite him instead and continue on as if nothing had happened.

I thought for sure I still had the log - sad panda.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next