Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Exp bonus for enlight
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:20 pm 
Mortal

Hi,

The exp that someone receives for getting enlightened should scale up, the lower level they are.

It takes an amateur about 90 seconds, with minimal preparation, to get an experience tick.
It can take a champion 12-20 minutes, after extensive preparation and risk, to get the same tick.

So, why should these two people get the same tick for being enlightened?

Clearly, people should receive the same amount of time/risk shaved off of their leveling paradigm, no matter where they are in it.

I already think about this game, depressingly, as a game in which you need to grind before seriously participating in roleplay. The code benefits for roleplay themselves seem to agree with me.

Post subject: Re: Exp bonus for enlight
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:39 pm 
Mortal

I would be entirely behind this, and advocate it for immediate implementation, if and only if we were reasonably certain that player-based enlightenments were not subject to nepotism or that immortal enlightenment far outpaced mortal sources.

The colloquial wisdom, which has not been disillusioned through the publication of data proving otherwise, is that this is just not the case.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:38 pm 
Mortal

Fine. This, or remove enlights.

Shouldn't lowbies and high level characters receive equal benefits from nepotism? Or is SK so elite that you need to be powerleveled AND have friends in high places to feel the reward?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:55 pm 
Mortal

To everybody that complains about leveling...

Stop tanking your charisma. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Allow for enchant armor to place stacking saves.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:52 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Arkex, Chronis, Azoreth, Kyln
I like the idea, but see room for abuse.
It would encourage players to establish their role and character earlier in the characters life.

This already is kind of implemented. Get 5 enlights, unlock that first LT exp boost.

If Imms snooped more and rewarded with enlights, their enlights could grant an exp boost.

Not a bad idea at all. But we could refine it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:42 pm 
Mortal

Anjin wrote:
Fine. This, or remove enlights.

Shouldn't lowbies and high level characters receive equal benefits from nepotism? Or is SK so elite that you need to be powerleveled AND have friends in high places to feel the reward?

At level 4, a tick might be 90 seconds. At level 40, a tick might be 20 minutes. There are still 8 ticks in a level at all levels. Ticks are equally-spaced intervals. Ceteris paribus, XP gain is gained at the same rate for the first tick as it is for the seventh. Therefore, getting a tick worth of XP via a reward is still 12.5% of the time you spend at a level at any level.

Trying to scale it as OP suggests would require expressing the amount of time spent at each level, which is not a variable that the mechanics nor the staff has ever seen fit to define. To scale appropriately, we would have to be able to convert time and XP. Otherwise, enlightenment would not be equally beneficial at each level because of scale misfit.

We haven't ever done that before. Why start now?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:55 pm 
Mortal

I think making enlighten worth a flat amount of xp rather than be worth a certain percentage of your current level is a good idea.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:38 pm 
Mortal

Gilgon wrote:
I think making enlighten worth a flat amount of xp rather than be worth a certain percentage of your current level is a good idea.

Indeed. The fact that you get less xp for a reward for being lower level is absurd. It discourages RP at lower levels because your RP simply isn't worth as much.

If you quantify it by percentage or based on level, however it's done (it is in fact smaller for lower level characters) it means that two characters that RP out the exact same scenario with the exact same emotes for example, the higher level character's RP is "better" because he got more experience points for doing the exact same thing.

Personally I feel that roleplay is just discouraged on SK. The fact that paragons only get one reward a day, and someone that gets rewarded can only be rewarded once per day makes it a less appealing way to play the game. I have to put it into a little context as well. You can work your [REDACTED] off to get 1 or 2 "ticks" of xp per day. On the flip side, having something ruled as "bad roleplay" can shave off 1-5 levels with no perceived limit.

This has been a part of the game that has been broken for a long time.