Does tame need some work?
Yay. 91%  91%  [ 20 ]
Nay. 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Re: Tame?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:45 pm 
Mortal

Another idea albeit a simple one.

FEED: Allows the scout to feed herbs/pills to their tame without having to order it to eat, works even if pet is blind. Would be great.

Srsly tho. Scouts really do need help

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:28 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
TheBladeMasta wrote:
Another idea albeit a simple one.

FEED: Allows the scout to feed herbs/pills to their tame without having to order it to eat, works even if pet is blind. Would be great.

Srsly tho. Scouts really do need help

I like this idea.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:02 am 
Mortal

I have always wished that you could equip an animal with saddle bags to hold stuff. Or simple armor for pets.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:48 pm 
Mortal Philanthropist

I'd personally like to see tame look more like it is in other games, where you can actually train your pet and attempt to keep them around for a long time. Being able to train them up would also allow for more variety and flavor (take a normal wolf and train him up to stand up to or even surpass other pets). Giving each "type" of pet certain skills they can learn (bite, tailwhip, etc.) would also be great. However, that's all really for a different thread.

In response to the OP:

woahboy wrote:
The lag on tame is an abomination. It can take upwards of hundreds of tame attempts to get it to work, please remove this or make it take less attempts.

The way things are, the lag doesn't do anything for strategy - it simply makes the skill an annoying time sink.

woahboy wrote:
Why is there no 'you can't tame this' message? That'd help a lot. I can tame something, have it take 200 tries, then find something I can't tame and I have no way to tell if tame is just being stupid or not.

All this does is obfuscate the strategies a scout can use, creating yet more of a time sink. Having a variety of messages to indicate whether or not a beast is ever tameable or if you're simply not experienced enough would make the skill a lot less frustrating.

woahboy wrote:
Remove the 'unique' flag from tameable animals, so scouts can log in/out with their pets.

As I said, I'd love to see scouts with long term pets that they're more bonded to. This would be a first step to that. As it is, it's really only yet another time sink for the skill.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:03 am 
Mortal

It would be interesting to get a skill list for your tamed creature. Maybe even put stuff on the List as (not learned) so that scouts can teach certain skills to the pet or have trainers around the realm teach pet skills. From that you could have your pet slowly improve skill like a player. It would also increase the sting of losing your pet with all the time that could be sunk into just a pet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:59 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
I also like this idea, with long-term bonds between scouts and their pets.

It would be cool if a scout's pet had the ability to level up 1 full status with his scout master. Say the pet gains 10%-30% of the experience that the scout is getting from combat, and/or let the scout "train" his pet by conferring a certain % of his EXP to his pet (or some other similar alternative). Give him also the ability to "name" his pet similarly to what is possible with store-bought pets. A scout who spends time with the same pet and who gives his little buddy some TLC can have a stronger companion over time. Heck, maybe there could even be a way to teach their pet how to find their way home so if they're seperated, there might still be some chance of meeting back at their recall point.