Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:27 pm 
Mortal

Salandarin: One last quickie: Look at the ending of my original post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:30 pm 
Implementor

Travorn wrote:
It's not broken. It doesn't need fixed. If it bothers you that much, pretend that you found a path going northeast that made it easier for you to travel, making you expend less energy.

QFT. The game has many other more pressing concerns than this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:54 pm 
Just an FYI, because the game is 'grided', doesn't mean the IC world is.

Going ne or sw or se or w or e one league is ONE LEAGUE OF DISTANCE in that direction, regardless.

You aren't going from a corner to another corner, you're simply going in that direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:47 pm 
Mortal

Grakus: By the -definition- of my argument, the very problem is that you aren't. You're going 1.41 leagues.

D: If I haven't been using that fraction enough.. You're going 1.41 leagues at the same price, half the time you move around. It's probably easy to code around, but hey- it's your game. Guess what we don't know can't bug us. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:58 pm 
OoMpAlOoMpA wrote:
Grakus: By the -definition- of my argument, the very problem is that you aren't. You're going 1.41 leagues.

D: If I haven't been using that fraction enough.. You're going 1.41 leagues at the same price, half the time you move around. It's probably easy to code around, but hey- it's your game. Guess what we don't know can't bug us. :(

Your argument is flawed. You assume that this game is a grid-based square system, instead of a fluid world where any direction is any direction.

The 1.41 figure would only exist from going corner square to corner square. Which you aren't. If I told you to walk 5 miles west, or southwest, how far are you going to walk? 5 miles in whatever direction. You aren't going to walk 1.41x5 miles.

That's the same way it is on game. The 'grid' isn't for distance measures, so much as it is for mechanics issues (range, rooms, etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:59 pm 
The correct answer is 'lol who cares'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:02 pm 
Jardek wrote:
The correct answer is 'lol who cares'.

No it's magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:28 pm 
Mortal

ObjectivistActivist wrote:
I have nothing to contribute to this discussion aside from this:

PS>PPS>PPPS not PS>PSS>PSSS.

That is all.

P.S.
Post Script.

Usually, one writes Post-post script, or post-post-post script.

You never know, maybe the meaning was Post script-script-script.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:11 pm 
Mortal

OoMpAlOoMpA wrote:
Rusin- You could do alot of things with a variable gradient that don't correspond to the physical consistancies we know and love. And while it may not be the most serious of problems, it's not something to make light of, either.
Actually, you could make a "sloped" plane the size of Pyrathia with the difficulty in walking sqrt(2) miles being just as tedious on your legs in one direction as walking 1 mile in another direction (or leagues, whatever). You can't mathematically prove it can't be done, because it can. As far as corresponding to the physical blabbity blah blah blah, it doesn't change the nature of molecular structure or gravity or any of the rest of physics, it just makes everything really hilly.
QED
P.S. This isn't a serious problem at all.
P.P.S. http://wonka.ytmnd.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:21 pm 
Mortal

Guys, if you tilt the cardinal directions just a little bit to the left or right, you get northwest, southeast, etc. Why would they cost any more PE? You aren't technically covering any more ground. If you look at Pyrathia as a flat plane with varying altitudes, the problem is already solved. Hills, Valleys, etc drain more PE as it is to handle the extraneous expended energy to cover "more ground". It's not like you're jumping to the east, THEN north to move northeast.

If you want a problem to solve, explain why fly costs more PE over deep forests and valleys when you don't even touch the ground at all. I can understand deep forests, maybe, as you have to "dodge trees" or some such and you don't actually fly over the forest. But why valleys?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next